About COPE-BEST 2023
The Convention on Promotion of Energy Sustainability Best Practices (COPE-BEST) is a conference that advances the synergy between energy sustainability best practices and open innovation across stakeholders from universities, industry, policymakers and civil society from ASEAN and beyond.
COPE-BEST is a green, low carbon fully online interactive conference that is Accessible to Anyone from Anywhere at Anytime.
COPE-BEST which integrates sustainability, accessibility, inclusivity, synergy and originality with its 10 Uniqueness is the winner of the 2022 IChemE Global Award on Public Engagement.
Themed “Race to Net Zero”, COPE-BEST 2023 is a clarion call to action for ASEAN energy stakeholders to swiftly transition to Net Zero emissions through energy sustainability best practices and innovations.
Organisers and collaborators. COPE-BEST 2023 is organised in conjunction with the International Greentech & Eco Products Exhibition & Conference Malaysia (IGEM 2023), in collaboration with Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Malaysia University Sustainability Network (MySUN), Malaysia Energy Services Companies (MAESCO), SIRIM, ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE), Centre for IMT-GT (Indonesia- Malaysia- Thailand) Sub-regional Cooperation (CIMT), ASEAN Centre for Energy (ACE), and Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ); with Optimal Systems Engineering Sdn Bhd (UTM spinoff-company as the main event organiser).
COPE-BEST aims to achieve four key objectives:
- Showcase energy sustainability (ES) best practices, open innovations, winners of R&D invention awards and energy awards from universities, industry, policymakers and civil society.
- Foster partnership among energy stakeholders from universities, industry, policy makers and civil society.
- Catalyse and promote adoption of innovative ES technologies and practices through local, regional and global partnership for the goals.
- Build a sustainable and resilient COPE-BEST Community of Practice among national, regional and global networks of universities, industry, policy makers and civil society.
10 Uniqueness of COPE-BEST 2023
- Introduces the Academy of Science Malaysia (ASM) 10 Shifts to Net Zero that comprehensively cover energy sustainability topics from thermal to electrical energy, industry, building, transportation, built environment, energy efficiency (EE), Renewable Energy (RE), Energy Management System (EnMS), digitalisation and funding support.
- Introduces GHG Emissions Management Hierarchy (GEMH) that prioritises Net Zero (NZ) actions from the most scalable, actionable, cost-effective and sustainable.
- Strives to bridge the innovation gap by promoting collaborative, open innovation as a way to democratise R&D across stakeholders.
- Addresses the critical needs of funding at key stages, from R&D to realisation.
- Inclusively mobilise quadruple helix stakeholders from among universities, industry, policymakers and civil society.
- Provides awareness on the critical enabling mechanisms such as market instruments, policies, regulations and ﬁnancial assistance.
- Synergises network of international co-operative agencies, professional associations and ASEAN communities. COPE-BEST 2023 is expected to attract over 1000 participants from ASEAN and beyond, following the CB 2022 success of mobilising 1120 participants from over 20 countries.
- Engages universities and research institutions with proven track records and leadership in research and commercialisation of open innovative best practices.
- Nurture young talents as future energy leaders to enculture sustainability in the younger generations.
- COPE-BEST is a green, low carbon fully online event that is Accessible to Anyone from Anywhere at Anytime. It mimics physical events through interactive discussions, networking sessions and exhibitions.
About COPE-BEST 2023 Theme
A comprehensive plan of action is required to pave the way forward, to build a truly global coalition for carbon neutrality by 2050. Toward this end, there is the need to maintain the delicate balance between emission reduction, energy aﬀordability and security that requires comprehensive and sustainable policies. COPE-BEST 2023 with the theme Race to Net Zero is a clarion call to action for ASEAN energy stakeholders to swiftly transition to Net Zero emissions by embracing open innovation in energy sustainability best practices.
Apart from showcasing energy sustainability technologies, innovations and best practices, COPE BEST also aims to create awareness of the various enabling mechanisms such as market instruments, regulatory policies, ﬁnancial assistance as well as public-private sustainability initiatives among participating organisations and countries. The convention is anticipated to catalyse national, regional and international linkages and create synergistic alliance towards achieving the net zero carbon emissions.